In Hall's introduction, I felt unprepared to look at the different theories of how we come to build or incur an identity. I know I will have to go back through and read it again with a side by side of other sources. I felt that the way he spoke of "suturing" would get me to a point where there some sort of finished product or "healing" through identity, but I never felt like I got there. And then... he basically said the issue of identity and identification is ambiguous in his last paragraph and I felt less perplexed. Could we unpack each of the theories of identity as a class?
De Margin and De Centre
Centering whiteness has been an issue in education for obvious reasons and as part of my area of interest, I have inquired as to why White educators do not seem to share their ethnic or cultural (I used them interchangeably here because the education field does so) backgrounds. The argument that the Other is alone able to correct omissions has been of some debate in the music education space. How do we balance decentering hegemonic positions while requiring they also put in the work to normalize the Other? It seems that to do so, they would need to embrace and almost center their white ethnicity which seems paradoxically problematic.
Comments
Post a Comment