After reading Hall's "Who Needs 'Identity'" I was left thinking about post-structuralism/modernism. I want to know if my assessment of Hall's claims is correct I'm still unsure on my definitions of the post-struct and post-mod, but Hall's assertion that identities are constructed feels aligned with post-structuralist thinking. Where Hall diverges is when he claims that since identities are constructed within discourse we need to understand them through history and institutions. If I'm remembering correctly post-structuralism is not interested in historicizing.
In Hall's "The Global, the Local, and the Return of Ethnicity" he provides a set of answers to his question "How is the narrative of the national culture told?" His first answer to the question is the "narrative of the nation." When reading this I immediately thought about Morrison's Playing in the Dark, where she interrogates Black absence in American Literature. Narrative is just as much about who is in the story and who is left out, as Morrison posits. I am curious to discuss how Hall's work responds to Black absence and responds to white representations of Blackness (my go to examples are always Shakespeare related - Othello, Aaron in Titus, and Cleopatra)
Emoji Collage:
π⌛ππππ·
Comments
Post a Comment