Hall’s “New Conservatism…” piece is steeped in historical contextualization to explain the phenomenon of conservatism being revamped and catapulted into Thatcherism. However, as an American audience, I’m curious on how Britain’s political trajectory throughout the 20th and into the 21st century contrast with America’s politics, especially since there seems to be similar moves of the pendulum swinging back to conservatism post-WWII?
In Hall’s “The Great Moving Right Show,” he critiques the “class-to-party” link and advocates for a replacement as a “government-to-people” relationship. I’ve reread this section a few times, but I’m still a little confused on what he means by this, especially with class-to-party being pretty self-explanatory (and cleared up a previous question I had on why the UK’s left party was called the Labour party). What does a government-to-people relationship look like, and why would it be more beneficial to pivot to that form of political causality?
Comments
Post a Comment